I recently saw this post on one of my favorite blogs and found myself nodding the entire time while reading through it.  Let go.  Seems pretty simple, no?  Well one would certainly think so, except sometimes it’s just easier for us to hold on to those things that have hurt us in the past or made us angry rather than choose to forgive and move on.  Being the overly-sensitive person that I am, I’ve found this to be a constant struggle with me for a long time…in various aspects of my life.  Whether it be a rude comment I received on the blog last week, a silly disagreement at work or something I’ve been holding on to for years, it’s often hard to let go.

But let’s be honest, holding on to all this negativity and animosity only brings yourself down and solves absolutely nothing.  YOU are the only person who can create your own happiness and you can choose to forgive and forget.  Seems pretty painless if you ask me, and I know I’ll be a better person for it in the long run.  Maybe it won’t solve the initial problem you started with and perhaps it won’t bring old friendships back together, but chances are you’re probably better off anyway and you can move on to more exciting things.

None of us are perfect and I’m sure there are those out there whom I’ve upset in the past or might be holding on to grudges that I wasn’t even aware of, but my hope is that they too can let it go.  I once got in an argument with a friend of mine in 7th grade over something that I honestly don’t think I could even remember to this day.  We never talked to each other again until this past year when she friended me on Facebook.  We obviously laughed about it, but the sad thing is we missed out on what could have been a great friendship over the past 15 years.  Sure things happen for a reason and people come and go from your life, but take that extra step today and allow yourself to let go of all that negativity you’ve be holding on to.  I guarantee you’ll feel 100% better and I bet you might even find yourself in a much happier place.

So today I choose to…

1. Jennifer says:

Amen to that. I’m also overly sensitive and tend to not always deal with things in the best way, thanks for the reminder!

• Anonymous says:

Lol…this is sooo me. Im dealing with this right now and its incredibly hard but im trying. Having faith that it’s for the common good~both for myself and the environment I inhabit everyday~is whats driving me forward. Some situations I have to physically take a breath, quiet myself for a moment, and then react…but its working…one day at a time. I like my new found peace. I wish you a peace that brings to you your own kind of freedom. 🙂

2. Anonymous says:

This is EXACTLY what I needed today. Thank you.

3. Anonymous says:

This is EXACTLY what I needed today. Thank you.

4. Love.

5. I think it’s easier said than done. I have a hard time moving past things. I try really hard though!! Great post!

6. This is great advice and something I am trying really hard to do too.

7. Jenn Berg says:

YAY! Love that! Great Post!

8. Kaylyn Marie says:

I needed this today. LOVE it. Thanks for sharing!! 🙂

9. Jamie says:

I struggle with this too. It’s hard for me to let things go sometimes, but a reminder like this is always helpful! Thanks for this post!

Jamie
    forevereightyone.blogspot.com

10. McKenna Ryan says:

This is all so true!!! I held on to a grudge for a really long time and the only one it hurt was myself. I once read a quote on Pinterest that said “holding a grudge is like letting someone live rent free in your mind”. Thanks for the inspirational words of wisdom. xx. Lou.

11. Gabbi says:

I too have a hard time of letting things roll off my back ( so to speak). And i try to let it go but its so hard. Thans for the reminder to keep trying.

12. Amy says:

Love this, thanks for posting it 🙂 From one overly sensitive person to another, I totally could use some help with this!

13. Wonderful post! Thank you for sharing this with us today 🙂

14. Vicki says:

I adore this post! It is a good reminder … it’s hard to let go sometimes but sometimes we just need to have faith.

15. Amen!

16. Jin says:

I read casey’s post too and it really make me think…
    I’m super sensitive and it’s so hard for me to forgive or “let go” when someone has hurt me…i’m praying that God will teach me forgiveness.
    nice post Kelly–thanks for sharing!

17. Anonymous says:

Thank you so much for posting this. Today I found out my ex is getting married again and it hurt a lot, but he used to hit me and cheat on me. I even had to go to therapy to learn to let go and forget. Its my choice to move on.

18. Kristin says:

I so needed to read this. thanks!!

19. tamwash says:

Love it!!! I needed that this morning. I’m an sensitive person as well and sometimes take things to heart when I don’t need to. This is something the Lord has been leading and guiding me through. Yesterday, I started the process with a very close family member. Somethings were said last month and yesterday, we just went out to lunch, talked and had a good time. We did not bring up what took place, because I has asked the Lord to take the unforgiveness and hurt out of my heart.

20. Rachel says:

I have struggled with letting go my whole life too. Somethings have just eaten me up inside. I am getting better at forgiving and forgetting and it really does make such a difference in my own life when I do. Thanks so much for posting, it helps to know other people struggle with this too.

21. What a recognizable post. Seems like many of us are struggling with letting go, myself included. Thanks for sharing, LET GO will be my motto for today! 🙂

22. Rhiannon says:

xoxo

23. Karen Scott says:

So true, hard to do but important. Thank you for the reminder 🙂

24. Karen Scott says:

Very true and hard to do but important to move forward in life. Thank you for the reminder 🙂

25. Thank you for taking the time to write this. Great reminder. For me writing something like this would take courage and strength. 🙂