Yes Ian Somerhalder, I will marry you.
Yes I did just say “healthy” and “fat” in the same sentence.
I promise to get more into this later, but I’m really excited about starting this new way of eating and can’t wait to share with you my results [and recipes]!
Recipe adapted from Naturally Ella
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 8 Tbsp light butter, cold
- 2 oz. light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup of ice water, adding an additional tablespoon if necessary
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Egg wash:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Fresh basil
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in cold butter until mixture looks course chunks and then cut in cream cheese. Butter and cream cheese will resemble pea-like chunks in the flour; then mix in 1/4 cup of ice water. Feel free to add an additional tablespoon of water, if needed. Shape dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap in place in the fridge.
- While dough is sitting in the fridge you can make your filling. Slice zucchini and squash, laying out your slices on sheets of paper towels. Sprinkle a little salt on each piece and sit for 30 minutes, allowing paper towels to soak up the water. Blot dry after the allotted time has passed and set aside.
- For the filling, whisk together ricotta cheese, egg white, garlic, honey, thyme, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly flour your surface and roll out you dough until it is a 12-14 inch circle. Place rolled out dough on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and spread ricotta mixture over dough, leaving about 2 inches from the edge. Arrange zucchini and squash over top of the mixture, overlapping as needed and fold over the edges of the pie crust. You want your pie to look like an even circle.
- Whisk together egg yolk and a teaspoon of water and brush mixture over top of the crust. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top and place pie in the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle fresh basil, if desired. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 slice • Calories: 164 • Fat: 8.5 g • Carbs: 15.1 g • Fiber: 0.6 g • Protein: 7 g • WW Points+: 4 pts