HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!
Happy Independence Day loves! Anytime I think of this fabulous summer holiday I’m immediately reminded of sweet iced tea, my Dad on the grill, cut-off shorts and pretty sparklers! Doesn’t get much better than that, eh??
Well maybe it does.
I’m also obsessed with all the festive desserts! The possibilities are endless when incorporating the colors red, white and blue and nothing makes me happier than baking for my family, especially when my brother is home on leave. This time last year he was in Afghanistan so I’m truly thankful to be spending this day with him, he is the epitome of why we celebrate this national holiday. So of course I wanted to make one of his favorite desserts, a Patriotic Berry Trifle!
Now I made this as low calorie and as simple as possible, but feel free to make your own cake and your own homemade pudding if you’d like!
There is just something about summer holidays that make me feel like a kid again and July 4th is definitely one of them. I still look forward to spelling words through the air with my sparklers, eating a juicy cheeseburger hot off the grill (no dieting allowed) and watching the local fireworks show shoot off behind our house. We still lay out blankets, eat firecracker ice pops til our lips turn blue (oh you know which ones I’m talking about) and not gonna lie, it sure is giving me the baby itch.Chris you did not just read that.But seriously, it really does make me look forward to sharing these traditions with my kiddos one day, but until then I’m happy to be 8 years old again.
I sure love my little family.
Oliver is truly the only “child” I need right now
and he sure is my little bundle of joy.
Until he decides to chew up my favorite pair of stilettos that I’ve only worn once and may or may not have spent a small fortune to get.
But I still love him.
- 2 cups sugar-free (or fat-free) vanilla pudding
- 1 whole angel food cake or pound cake
- 3 Tbsp raspberry jam
- 5 cups blueberries
- 4 cups raspberries
- Lite Cool Whip, if desired
- Slice your angel food cake or pound cake in thin slices and stamp out 16 stars using a star-shaped cookie cutter. Spread raspberry jam on 8 of the stars and make sandwiches out of them. Place 4 of the stars around the edges on the bottom of your trifle dish. Fill in with a layer of blueberries.
- Place the leftover scraps of your cake on top of the blueberries directly in the center and spread 1 cup of vanilla pudding as your second layer. Top the pudding with a layer of raspberries and then another cup of pudding.
- Place 4 more stars around the edges of the trifle on top of the pudding and fill in with an additional layer of blueberries. Feel free to place any other scraps of cake in between the section of blueberries and top the middle off with the rest of your raspberries. Serve with cool whip and enjoy!