So it’s been quite the roller coaster these past 24 hours. I had intended on writing a fun recap of the fabulous birthday weekend I had spent with all my friends, however when I received a phone call from my Dad this morning saying my Grandma was rushed to the hospital due to a sudden heart attack, my mind went blank and this blog post no longer mattered.
Nothing mattered to be honest. If anyone knows me, they know how incredibly close I am with my Grandma, in fact she’s the whole reason I developed this strong passion for cooking. Not to mention she’s wildly young for her age, still working every day with barely a wrinkle. So you can bet this came as a huge shock to us all, but I suppose no one can prepare you for these types of things. Just to keep y’all updated, she’s currently in the hospital and might potentially undergo heart surgery tomorrow. Our prayers are continuously with her.So this recipe I’ve made is one of my Grandma’s absolute favorites and is something we used to eat a lot anytime we’d spend time together. I know I’ve shared chicken tortilla soup
before, but this one has a fun twist and you’ll totally see why….
one word friends.
I just love the simplicity of this recipe too, only a few staple ingredients thrown together in a single pot, and it’s quick and easy too! This soup is absolutely perfect for when you’re feeling sick or even if you’re just in the mood for something hearty (yet healthy). I can pretty much guarantee this will be a hit amongst your family, they may even be begging you for more.I chose to make my own tortilla strips, only because I think baked tortillas soak up the soup so much better than pre-made chips. Also the additional seasoning adds even more flavor and a bigger kick in the pants.
Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 (14 oz) can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 (6-inch) tortillas, cut into strips
- Cooking spray
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and shredded chicken; saute for about 2 minutes. Add chipotle chile powder and cumin; stir well. Add water, salt, chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and place tortilla strips on a baking sheet. Spray strips with cooking spray and sprinkle with a touch of chipotle chile powder or chipotle seasoning blend (such as Mrs. Dash). Bake at 350 for about 8 to 10 minutes. Top soup with baked tortilla strips, cilantro and a lime wedge and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups • Calories: 228 • Fat: 5.4 g • Carbs: 21.8 g • Fiber: 3.5 g • Protein: 22.9 g • WW Points+: 6 pts
So please keep my sweet Grandma in your thoughts and prayers as she undergoes her surgery tomorrow. She’s probably one of the strongest women I know, so I’m sure she’ll be just fine. Thanks again for all your kind words of encouragement!