I just love the simplicity of this recipe too, only a few staple ingredients thrown together in a single pot, and it’s quick and easy too! This soup is absolutely perfect for when you’re feeling sick or even if you’re just in the mood for something hearty (yet healthy). I can pretty much guarantee this will be a hit amongst your family, they may even be begging you for more.I chose to make my own tortilla strips, only because I think baked tortillas soak up the soup so much better than pre-made chips. Also the additional seasoning adds even more flavor and a bigger kick in the pants.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 (14 oz) can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 (6-inch) tortillas, cut into strips
- Cooking spray
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and shredded chicken; saute for about 2 minutes. Add chipotle chile powder and cumin; stir well. Add water, salt, chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and place tortilla strips on a baking sheet. Spray strips with cooking spray and sprinkle with a touch of chipotle chile powder or chipotle seasoning blend (such as Mrs. Dash). Bake at 350 for about 8 to 10 minutes. Top soup with baked tortilla strips, cilantro and a lime wedge and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups • Calories: 228 • Fat: 5.4 g • Carbs: 21.8 g • Fiber: 3.5 g • Protein: 22.9 g • WW Points+: 6 pts