Next time I think I’ll try a spicier sausage as well as throw in some chopped red bell pepper for some pretty coloring. You really can’t go wrong with this recipe and can pretty much pick and choose what you want to add to it! Yes ladies, this is a pretty hearty dish, but trust me your men will LOVE you for it and I can pretty much guarantee you’ll be sneaking a slice too. Best part is they won’t even know that it’s low in fat and calories.
Since we went to DC United soccer game all day Saturday, I had some of our friends stay the night and served this up Sunday morning. It was a hit! Best hangover food ever and sure beats a trip to IHOP any day. I mean I’ll take any excuse to stay in my pajamas on a Sunday!
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
- 12 oz. reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. stone ground mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 8 slices firm whole wheat bread, cubed
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- The night before, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat in a nonstick skillet until sausage is no longer pink. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the bread cubes, cheese and sausage mixture. Pour into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 slice • Calories: 211 • Fat: 11 g • Carbs: 13 g • Fiber: 1 g • Protein: 15 g • WW Points+: 6 pts