Recipe from Bakerella
- 1 box cake mix (I used Betty Crocker yellow cake mix)
- 1 (16 oz) container ready-made frosting (I used Betty Crocker vanilla)
- 1 large Styrofoam block
- 1 (1-pound) bag yellow candy coating morsels
- Lollipop sticks (bag of 50)
- Yellow and Orange Rainbow Candy Coated Chips
- Orange Pastel Wild Flower Sprinkles
- Black edible ink pen
- Bake cake according to package instructions. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Once cool, cut the cake into quarters and finely crumble each quarter of cake into a large bowl. Add half the container of frosting. Mix into cake crumbles until well combined. Mixture should stick together to form a ball, not too crumbly, not too wet. Feel free to add more frosting as needed.
- Roll cake mixture into 2-inch oval shaped balls. Place balls on a wax paper-lined baking sheet, cover and chill in fridge to firm. Should make about 45 to 50 balls.
- Once balls are firm, place a lollipop stick into each cake ball almost halfway up. Place in fridge for an additional 10 minutes so that the ball can mold around the stick.
- Carefully melt the yellow candy morsels in a deep bowl in the microwave, for 30 second intervals, stirring each time until fully melted.
- Dip the cake pop into the candy coating and carefully tap off any excess by swirling it around. Place end of the stick into the Styrofoam block until sturdy and allow to dry. Continue with remaining balls.
- Dip a toothpick into the coating and use like glue to adhere the orange candy chips as beak, yellow candy chips as wings, and orange flower sprinkles as feet. Draw on eyes with edible ink pen.