Here’s a great dish that will cook all day in your slow cooker, make your house smell amazing and tastes absolutely delicious! I got this recipe from my Aunt Suzy and made a few modifications of my own just to make it just right. It’s soo easy to make! The crunch of the homemade tortilla strips with the zest of the lime gives this dish so much flavor that I think you’ll really love. One bowl of soup is around 135 calories which makes a great healthy meal, not to mention it’s VERY filling! I hope you enjoy it!
Slow-Cooked Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce (I used hot to give it a kick)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups of water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 7 corn tortillas
- 1 lime
- vegetable oil
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and boil chicken for 15 minutes. With cooking shears or a fork, thoroughly shred your chicken and place in slow cooker. Add tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles and garlic. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro.
- Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- To make the tortilla strips, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on baking sheet. I sprinkled a bit of taco seasoning over tortillas as well to give them a great flavor.
- Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup and garnish with a lime.
Serving Size: 1½ cups • Calories: 135 • Fat: 2 g • Carbs: 14 g • Fiber: 2 g • Protein: 14.8 g • WW Points+: 3 pts